Calamba City’s main church is the Parish Church of St. John the Baptist which was built in the 19th century. In Philippine history, Dr. Jose Rizal, Philippines’ national hero, was baptized here on June 22, 1821.
The church is located just accross the street of Bahay Ni Rizal, or Rizal Shrine.
This church is also known as Calamba’s oldest church and features a baroque style architecture.
There are several stained glasses installed in the church and two of which are located at the church entrance depicting Santo Domingo and San Lorenzo Ruiz. The other strained glasses intalled in the church windows depict seven holy sacraents of the catholic church.
The original Calamba church was established by the Franciscan Friars in 1779 upon separation from the parish of Cabuyao. The first stone church was built on 1859 was was destroyed during the Second World War in 1945. The current is a reconsruction of the original stone church.
The church also has a small garden called the Garden of Gethsemane with life size statues of the Way of the Cross.
The Calamba Church of St. John the Baptist is a national historical landmark including its baptistry.